This landlord’s properties continuously suffered serious damage at the hands of unscrupulous tenants.
- Broken locks and window/door catches
- Missing light fittings
- Stained carpets and furnishings
- Dented, marked and gouged walls
- Scratched and badly damaged flooring & stairs
- Freezer never defrosted
- Large volumes of rubbish in garden
- Missing parts to furniture and appliances
- Damage to furniture and appliances
- Burn marks on ceilings
- Holes drilled in doors & punched into walls
- Radiator brackets pulled out of wall
- Numerous areas uncleaned
The trouble was he was never able to reclaim for the damage in full, because he didn’t have the necessary evidence to make deductions from the tenants’ deposits.
The repair costs were significantly eating into the landlord’s profits, so he accepted that investing in a professional inventory and check-in/check-out was the right thing to do. The good news is that these days, the landlord has all the evidence he needs to make successful claims on his tenants’ deposits.